Social Security is a major part of retirement planning. The following articles are selected to help you understand your options related to Social Security
- Retiring couples: A Social Security strategy called file-and-suspend
- May 2012 Oregonian article from Brent Hunsberger describing file and suspend strategies.
- Retirement Standard Social Security Benefits
- 2011 article from Morgan Stanley Smith Barney LLC describing Social Security benefits and options.
- When to Begin Receiving Social Security Benefits
- When to Begin Receiving Social Security Benefits – Exhibit 1
- When to Begin Receiving Social Security Benefits – Exhibit 2
- A February 2008 article describing options related to Social Security Benefits:
Medicare is generally required when you reach 65.
For Oregon residents the State of Oregon has set up a Senior Health Insurance Assistance Program or SHIBA. SHIBA’s contact information:
- Phone 1-800-722-4134
- Website http://www.oregon.gov/DCBS/SHIBA/